[Tutor] BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.src.rpm

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:57:19 -0500

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 11:46:37PM -0500, Michael Baker wrote:
| thanks to all for the recent help with PYTHONPATH. on to the next inquiry...
|
| this might be more of a linux question, but here it is. I'm running LinuxPPC
| on a Powermac. the most recent python rpm I can find is v 1.52. I tried to
| compile the source rpm for v 2.0 but an error occurred after about 20 seconds
| of crunching:
|

| Patch #0 (BeOpen-Python-2.0-Setup.patch):
| + patch -p0 -s
| /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.17620: patch: command not found
| Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.17620 (%prep)
|
| if this question is more appropriate for a different list please advise.
| :)

This does seem to be more of a linux issue than a python one.

Do you have 'patch' on your system?  Try typing "patch" or "which
patch" at a shell prompt.  You could also try "rpm -qa | grep patch"
or "rpm -qf *patch" (I'm not sure of the syntax for the last command,
I hope it reports the package owning a file named *patch (using shell
globbing)).  The rpm was instructed to patch the sources with a patch
that BeOpen provided in the rpm.  A patch is really nothing more than
a diff, and the patch program works like diff in reverse -- instead of
reporting the differences between 2 versions, it takes one version and
the differences to create the other.

Perhaps the main list can help more?  Or maybe a LinuxPPC list, since
it is not python specific.

HTH,
-D