[Tutor] (no subject)

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:14:31 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 SanHwtt@netscape.net wrote:

> hi um i kinda dont know alot about computers but would like to learn uh
> the tutorial is really confusing and i kinda need to learn to use it
> from a human in english cuz you know everybody has to start somewhere

*laugh*  Sure, understandable.

> and im startin with python

If you're looking at the official Python tutorial from:

    http://python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

then stop!  That particular one is a whirlwind tour that assumes that you
already know a C-ish language.  Don't read it for a while; it will
probably frustrate someone just beginning to learn a new language.  This
is a common complaint from people; perhaps Guido should put a little
warning label at the beginning of that tutorial.  *grin*

Instead, take a look at the Introductions section of python.org:

    http://python.org/doc/Intros.html

which has more focused and comprehensive tutorials on learning Python.
There's a section there called "Introductions to Python programming for
non-programmers", which has some very good tutorials, including these:

    http://members.xoom.com/alan_gauld/tutor/tutindex.htm
    http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

and all of the tutorials there are very good.  Also, if you have any
question while you're going through them, you can always ask us, and we'll
try to clarify their points.

Good luck to you!