[Tutor] not a good tutorial, in my view

bxuef@freemail.sx.cn bxuef@freemail.sx.cn
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:54:50 +0800 (CST)

Hi, everyone,

It appears the Python 2.0 tutorial are not written for beginners without  programming background.

The language is claimed to be a desktop program for everyone but the tutorial is already hard to read.

I am currently learning Python through the tutorial but I think it just neglected the programming level of the general readship.

There are several questions that I hope to seek answer from the veterans of Python programming:

1. I typed:

>>>"doesn\t"
# and it produced the following result:
>>>'doesn\011'
>>> 'yes\'he said'
"yes'he said"
'"yes," he said'
what is the use of this slash?

2. What is the use of 'strip' here?
>>> string.strip('str') + 'ing'
'string'
and why this does not work:
>>> string.strip('str') 'ing'
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
It is explained in the tutorial, but I can not understand.

3. In the tutorial 3.1.3. Why there is the unicode part. what's the use of unicode in programming?

I input this but why it did not produce the desired result?
>>> u'Hello\\u0020World !'
u'Hello\\u0020World !'

The desired result should be
>>>u'Hello World !'

Under what conditions will the Interpreter shows the second prompt(...)? In the turtorial, it reads "for continuation lines it prompts with the second prompt...".

I am a little frustrated by the tutorial, can anyone show me some links to the easier tutorial (for instance, Alan's)? Or hopefuly there will be a beginner's version of the tutorial.

Thank you very much!

Best wishes.
-------bxuef

欢迎使用山西电信免费电子邮件系统 <http://freemail.sx.cn> 。