[Tutor] off-topic? (dos box)

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:51:04 -0500

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 10:19:56AM +0000, Jose Amoreira wrote:
| I'm sorry if this is somewhat offtopic, but anyway...
| At home, I usually run idle, but sometimes I'd prefer to run the
| interpreter in a dos box. The problem is that I loose all the facilities
| provided by readline, like command recall and editing. At work, I use a
| linux pc, and install python from sources, with the readline option; but
| in windows I don't have the make utility,  so I install precompiled
| binaries. Replacing windows with an operating system is not an option
| because the majority (my wife and kids) voted against it, go figure...
| So my question is:
| Is there any way of running the python interpreter in a command line
| shell, with readline (or something similar) in windows? If so, could you
| tell me how to do it, please?

The Python 2.0 binaries I installed on this Win2k machine have command
history and editing (no ^U though) if run from a DOS box.  If I run it
from bash it doens't =p.  Jython doesn't (because Java
doesn't have readline =p).

You could probably build from source like it was a unix machine after
installing cygwin.  You'll probably want cygwin anyways since you are
familiar with Linux.  http://sources.redhat.com

HTH,
-D