[Tutor] Newbie

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 23:08:30 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Doug Sparling wrote:

>  I am a complete newbie when it comes to programming. I have been learning
> Python with "Sam's teach yourself Python in 24 hours". Here's my
> question....When I type the helloworld.py program in Notepad and then try to
> run it from Command Line, I get a flash of something that looks like a DOS
> window, is this supposed to be the program?

Sounds like your program is running, but then closing too quickly.  Try
adding this at the end of your program:

    raw_input("Please press ENTER to finish.")

This will force your program to wait until you press enter, and will let
you see what's happening.

You might want to try out IDLE, which is an environment that lets you
experiment more freely with Python programming.  IDLE should already be
installed in your computer: search your Start Menu under the Python group.

Good luck!