[Tutor] Re: opening programs

AquaRock7@aol.com AquaRock7@aol.com
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 13:47:55 EST

--part1_55.10b44c49.27adac5b_boundary

       I am assuming you rin Windows -- you mentioned DOS.
       Go to your C:\ directory.  There should be a file called
"AUTOEXEC.BAT".  Open it with Notepad.  Mine looks like this:

@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
@Echo Off
Set Blaster= A220 I5 D1
PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Python";"C:\qb45"

       The first line is for my anti-virus software -- calls startup scan.
The secnod line tells DOS not to display what it is doing on the screen, only
display what you tell it to display (using the DOS print command).  The third
is my sound card settings.  The fourth is the path variable, thats what we
are intrested in.
       Add the following line to your path statement:
"C:\yourPythonDirectory" (w/o the quotes).  Now my path statement looks like
this:  for example, your path statement could be:  PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Python".
Now, when you type python at the command prompt, you should get the
interpreter prompt ">>>".
       If you do not have a path statement, create one.  Put it on the lowest
possible line but above a line that says "win" (if there is a line called win
- if not just do it on the last line.)
       If you do not have an AUTOEXEC.BAT file, don't worry, just create one.
       Now, in order to run your program, change to the directory where the
program is located.  Do this by typing "cd\" at the dos prompt.  Now you are
at the root directory (C:\>).  Now type "cd python\prog" or whatever
directory the program is located.  Now your prompt should look something like
this: "C:\Python\pyprog>"  Now type "python hello.py" to run the program.
(FYI what dos says is open hello.py with the program python (the
interpreter).)
       Tell me if that didnt work.
~Dustin

--part1_55.10b44c49.27adac5b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>  &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I am assuming you rin Windows -- you mentioned DOS.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Go to your C:\ directory. &nbsp;There should be a file called
<BR>"AUTOEXEC.BAT". &nbsp;Open it with Notepad. &nbsp;Mine looks like this:
<BR>
<BR>@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
<BR>@Echo Off
<BR>Set Blaster= A220 I5 D1
<BR>PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Python";"C:\qb45"
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The first line is for my anti-virus software -- calls startup scan. &nbsp;
<BR>The secnod line tells DOS not to display what it is doing on the screen, only
<BR>display what you tell it to display (using the DOS print command). &nbsp;The third
<BR>is my sound card settings. &nbsp;The fourth is the path variable, thats what we
<BR>are intrested in.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Add the following line to your path statement: &nbsp;
<BR>"C:\yourPythonDirectory" (w/o the quotes). &nbsp;Now my path statement looks like
<BR>this: &nbsp;for example, your path statement could be: &nbsp;PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Python". &nbsp;
<BR>Now, when you type python at the command prompt, you should get the
<BR>interpreter prompt "&gt;&gt;&gt;".
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If you do not have a path statement, create one. &nbsp;Put it on the lowest
<BR>possible line but above a line that says "win" (if there is a line called win
<BR>- if not just do it on the last line.)
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If you do not have an AUTOEXEC.BAT file, don't worry, just create one.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Now, in order to run your program, change to the directory where the
<BR>program is located. &nbsp;Do this by typing "cd\" at the dos prompt. &nbsp;Now you are
<BR>at the root directory (C:\&gt;). &nbsp;Now type "cd python\prog" or whatever
<BR>directory the program is located. &nbsp;Now your prompt should look something like
<BR>this: "C:\Python\pyprog&gt;" &nbsp;Now type "python hello.py" to run the program. &nbsp;
<BR>(FYI what dos says is open hello.py with the program python (the
<BR>interpreter).)
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Tell me if that didnt work.
<BR>~Dustin</FONT></HTML>

--part1_55.10b44c49.27adac5b_boundary--