[Tutor] Reading from a GUI

Gregory Tucker tuckerg@acm.org
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:51:34 +0900

Hi,

I think we would all save a lot of time if there were a clear answer to your
question. I can only throw in a couple observations.

1. There is actually a book called "Python and Tkinter Programming". From
this standpoint, this is the most well-documented. Check out your favorite
bookstore for more information.

2. There are a few pages that discuss this:

http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html
http://wxpython.org/
http://www.wxwindows.org/
http://www.scriptics.com/

3. Personally, I haven't done enough GUI programming in EITHER environment
to answer the question.

4. In many cases the better question is "What is the best way to build
active web pages in Python?" You can develop CGI scripts for simpler stuff.
You can use Zope for more sophisticated environments, but with a higher
learning curve. I am looking for a way to get out of the (painfully)
sessionless nature CGI without the overhead of Zope. PSP (a Python version
of PHP?) may offer an alternative. Regardless, an HTML interface is too
limiting for some applications that could be done better with WxPython or
Tkinter.

It looks like WxPython is is easier to use and more powerful in general. And
it looks like the cross-platform support is good enough for most developers.
When I am ready to tackle GUI programming under Python, even though I own
the above book, I will probably look first into WxPython.

But I would appreciate feedback on this as well.

Regards,
Greg

---
  Gregory Tucker