[Tutor] Follow up to 'class data'

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:41:05 -0000

> Perhaps I asked the wrong question.  If all I want is to use
> Python for a scripting language and some simple programs,
> is OOP perhaps overkill?

Definitely.
Until you want to reuse some code you already wrote later
- in that case having it inside objects makes life much easier.
But for short programs OOP is indeed oiverkill, its bewnefits
are when things start to get bigger and need more control.

> I think I'm going to drop this discussion; as I feel myself becoming
> argumentative.  It's frustrating and I still don't "get it."

I read once that it takes experienced, professional
programmers from 6 months to 2 years to transition
from procedural to OO thinking. Don't worry about not
getting it, its not essential for most things.

Probably, as you use other people's objects(in the python
library say) it'll come clearer and eventually you'll
feel natural with it.

Alan G.