[Tutor] Writing to a file on another server

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:11:11 -0500

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:31:39PM -0500, Beaudette, Sheree wrote:
| I'm attempting to write to a file but the following code doesn't seem to
| work.  I'm not sure where the file is going if anywhere.  I'm working from
| my machine and developing on a remote server which is where I'm running the
| application that would create this file (the .py file is also located on
| this remote server).  I'd like the file to write to another server ideally.
| Is this possible?

You can write to a file on a remote server, but it depends on your
network and system configuration how you should do it.  Some options
are :

(your program doesn't know about the network)
    NFS mount
    Samba share

(your program needs to know about the network)
    ftp
    scp
    http (needs a CGI script on the server to accept the POST and
          actually write the file)

    custom client-server setup
    distributed objects (ie CORBA, XML-RPC, DCOM, etc ; this is a form
            of a custom setup)

HTH,
-D

--