[Tutor] Is Python powerful enough for this?

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:58:37 -0400

The POST method itself creates the urlencoded string and
sets the environment variable CONTENT_LENGTH to the
length of this string.  The string itself is sent via standard
input, not as part of the URL itself, as in GET.

The job, then, is to get the name/value pairs back out from
the string, which is something the cgi module will do for you.
Others have mentioned FieldStorage().  There's also cgi.parse().

Here's a cgi script set up to handle the example HTML you
posted:

==============================

  #!/usr/local/bin/python
  import cgi
  import sys
  import traceback

  sys.stderr = sys.stdout
  print "Content-Type: text/html\n"

  try:

    print """
  <head>
  <title>Feedback</title>
  </head>\n<body>"""

    vars = cgi.parse()

    for i in vars.keys():  # or just 'in vars' in 2.2+
        print "<p>Name: %s  Value: %s</p>" % (i,vars[i])

    print """

  except:

      print "\n\n<PRE>"
      traceback.print_exc()
      print "\n</PRE>"
ÆÆÆ

Note the trick of putting debugging code at the end.  This helps you
initially when trying to figure out why a script fails. You can strip
this stuff out later (see what happens if you divide by 0 in the
try block -- the browser will give you Python's informative error
message instead of some useless "internal error" message).

Minor footnote:  dictionaries before Python 2.2 weren't iterable
directly; you had to go for i in mydict.keys():  But now dictionaries
are directly iterable, so you can just go for i in mydict:

Kirby