[Tutor] sockets broken on New Install???

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:50:07 -0700

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:20:11 -0600 (MDT), Bruce Sass
<bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>  wrote about Re: [Tutor] sockets broken
on New Install???:

:On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Sheila King wrote:

:> I wish I could say that gave ME a clue.
:
:looks like it did...
:
:> I look in <dir>/Modules.Setup for _socket and find this:
:>
:> # for socket(2), without SSL support.
:> #_socket socketmodule.c
:>
:> # Socket module compiled with SSL support; you must comment out the
:> other
:> # socket line above, and possibly edit the SSL variable:
:> #SSL=/usr/local/ssl
:> #_socket socketmodule.c \
:> #	-DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
:> #	-L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto
:>
:> And it looks to me like
:> SSL = /usr/local/ssl
:> is correct??? (Is that the part I would edit?)
:
:...yes (yes)...
:
:> Do I need to change it to
:> SSL=/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl
:> ????
:
:...nope...
:
:> Plus, what's with all the # at the beginning of the lines. Looks like
:> everything is commented out. Is this the normal way for it to look?
:> (Confusing to me.)
:
:...just uncomment the whole section.

Well, I'm just having a wonderful time. NOT. :(

I gave up on the expat thing. It seems the system I'm using doesn't have
the necessary files already installed, and I'm not doing XML right now,
so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

But sockets...gotta have those.

I've completely deleted all of the Python-2.1.1 files and directories
and started over with a fresh install a few times, now. (I also
inadvertently deleted my python2.0* binary so now my website is really
broken. :(

When I uncomment the three lines for SSL enable sockets, I do make
install, and then I try make test (this is a fresh install, since I
started over). The make test command gets almost nowhere. I get the
following message:

[thinker@FQ-Nine:/big/dom/xthinkspot/Python/Python-2.1.1 ]$ make test
gcc  -Xlinker -export-dynamic -o python \
                Modules/python.o \
                libpython2.1.a -lpthread -ldl  -lutil
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl
 -lcrypto  -lm
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(rsa_lib.o): In function `RSA_new_method':
rsa_lib.o(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `RSA_PKCS1_RSAref'
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(err_all.o): In function
`ERR_load_crypto_strings'
:
err_all.o(.text+0x3d): undefined reference to `ERR_load_RSAREF_strings'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [python] Error 1

I have no python executable.

I went to the Python.org site FAQ, section 3 for common problems, and it
indicates that Linux sometimes has trouble finding the crypt libraries,
so in Modules/Setup, I uncommted the line
crypt cryptmodule.c  -lcrypt	# crypt(3); needs -lcrypt on some
systems

did make clean and then make install and make test.

Got the same error messages.

I'm beside myself, now. <sigh>

--
Sheila King