[Tutor] Re: Tutor digest, Vol 1 #1015 - 1 msg

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:42:26 -0400

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 11:04:40PM +0100, Jordan Stanley wrote:
| I need to write a script to email me my ip address when it logs on or
| changes.

Have you seen ddt.sourceforge.org?  They have a nice system to provide
a FQDN to a machine with a dynamic IP address.

| i wonder if this would be easier to do with windows scripting
| functions or python?

I think you are talking about "Windows Scripting Host" here.  If so,
it is not a language but rather a specification that any language can
be made to meet, and Python can be used as a Windows Scripting Host
language (AFAIK).

The real trick is to try and get windows to execute some
program/script whenever you get an IP address.  On Linux it would be
as easy as adding a script to /etc/ppp/ip-up for dialup connections or
adding an "up <command>" line to /etc/network/interfaces.  I have no
idea how to do that in windows.

-D