[Tutor] Python Books

Rob Andrews rob@jam.rr.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:45:45 -0500

What I'm missing is a good
> introduction to object oriented programming with Python for people new
> to both and the online documentation should include more examples.

Learning Python (Lutz/Ascher) and Core Python Programming (Chun) each
have discussions of OOP, and Chun seems to explain it nicely. My own
experience learning Python OOP has been that you can code even simple
scripts and pick up some OOP by chance. Python has so much OOP snuck in,
that if you practice up on your prodedural/functional programming in
Python for a few months, you will very likely have picked up some of the
basics nearly by accident.

Another really fine resource for this sort of thing is the Python Tutor
archives (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/). I have been blown
away enough by some of the explanations provided by the Tutor list to
ponder the idea of a Python Tutor anthology. A nice introductory book
could be pieced together from the discussions of this list.

If you look at the available OOP documentation for Python and still want
more discussion of OOP in general, check out Bruce Eckel's site
(http://www.mindview.net/Books). He is slowly working on a Thinking In
Python book, but his discussions of OOP tucked away in Thinking in Java
and Thinking in C++ are pretty great.

As Useless Python enters its next stage of evolution (which is in
development now, thanks largely to the assistance of Tesla Coil), I hope
to see more people taking scripts there now and submitting new versions
of those scripts re-written in OOP, with more efficient choices, etc. A
few people have done this already, but we need to decide how to
reorganize it all to make these connections more obvious. Anyone with
suggestions or contributions is welcome to toss in your $.02 worth.
Should we divide by categories, dish up Python Server Pages, add some
sort of Useless search engine, etc.? I'm slightly familiar with Zipe,
less so with Squishdot.

I need more coffee,
Rob

--