[Tutor] determining whether a set is a group

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:40:06 -0700

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:59:58 -0400, Benoit Dupire <bdupire@seatech.fau.edu>
wrote about Re: [Tutor] determining whether a set is a group:

:Although i remember what a group is , i don't remember what groups are us=
:eful
:for....... any math teachers?

Uh, I am a math teacher. Sorry to say, I don't work much with groups. I took
one required course in Abstract Algebra, and then went on to do probability
and analysis, and a small bit of numerical methods. Abstract algebra is more
for the theorists and purists. I'm more interested in the practical
application of math (although I enjoy the theory and beauty of it, as well).

Here is a nice page with a lot of Algebra definitions and theorems on it:
http://www.math.niu.edu/~beachy/aaol/

If I get a better answer to "What are groups good for?", I will share.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/