[Tutor] upgrading to 2.0 on Redhat

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:21:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Scott wrote:

> This is only tangentially on topic, I hope it's OK to ask.
>
> I've got Redhat 7.0, which includes python-1.5.2-27.  I downloaded and
> installed BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.  Is it possible/advisable to get rid of
> the old version with '--nodeps' or something.  Or will this break the
> dependencies?  It seems to be a waste of disk space, as well as a bit
> cluttered and confusing to keep both versions, but I don't want to
> break my system.  Thanks.

You might want to keep it; I know that Red Hat depends on Python for a lot
of its system scripting; it will probably break your dependencies.  Red
Hat added a bunch of extensions that only work with Python 1.52, so I'm
not sure what the upgrade path is like.

For me, I've installed Python 2.0 in /usr/local/python2.0.  Also, I've
made it so PATH looks at /usr/local/bin first; for the most part, this
should be safer, since it leaves the system alone, but allows you to work
with Python 2.0.

Good luck to you.