[Tutor] another ?, can Python be learned and used instead of CGI, Perl, and Java/JavaScript or are those still necessary?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:32:04 +0100

> then, when was
> the last time you saw a really useful applet? :-)

Smiley noted but I do have to jump in and defend applets.
There are a lot of real world applications being written for
the web now that use full client/server applet/servlet technology.

For instance in house I book my timeevery month using a Java
applet to replace the previous VB application. I also log faults
in our in house reporting tool using an applet to replace
an Oracle Forms application.

Finally the Genesys Internet Suite is a commercial application
that uses applet technmology to allow co-browsing, web chat
etc etc into a traditional call-centre environment. I think the
applet has become well established as the means to get performant
UI's on the web - far beyond the early Mickey Mouse animations etc.

Sorry, I guess you hit one of my 'hot buttons' there :-)

Alan G.

PS This has nothing to do with the original question since you can
use JPython for applets....albeit slowly!