[Tutor] Python 2.0 newbie questions

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:07:58 +0100

> My question is what do I do next?

I assume the 'Python GUI' is simply a shortcut to IDLE
which is a nicer environment for writing Python than
the DOS box or notepad.

> What do I need to do to get it to run the hello.py text file
> that I saved????

From the command prompt(DOS or Start|Run) type:

C:> python hello.py

You should see the output of your script (or an error message
if you got it wrong!)

> PS  Which version of python will be explained in Alan Gauld's
> new book???

Python 1.5.2 is included on the CD ROM and recommended for
the examples. Python v2 is included on the CD but the reader
is recommended to wait till they have completed the book
before 'upgrading'.

The reason is simple: I haven't had time to check all the code
works without change in Python 2. I expect it will since it is
only a basic subset. I don't teach or use anything very exotic
in the book since I'm trying to demonstrate techniques that
work in any language, not just Python.

If enough copies sell to warrant a second edition it will be
based on Python 2 (or maybe 3 by that time?!)

I'm currently reviewing the typset page proofs BTW and to
my very biased eyes it looks good. :-)

Alan G.