[Tutor] Threads & Memory

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:14:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 FxItAL@aol.com wrote:

> I've written a small timer program that uses two threads to display
> the current time and continuously compares the actual time to the time
> set for the alarm.

I'm not sure if it's a memory allocation thing.  Could you show us the
program?  Perhaps it's doing a "polling" type loop that can take up
a lot of CPU; even though it's threaded, it may still be greedy with
resources.  Can you check to see that it's not polling?

Otherwise, I'm not sure why it would slow everything else down. Show us
the program, and I'm sure we can figure out what's happening.  Good luck!