[Tutor] (no subject)

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:33:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, DanielKOBRIEN wrote:

> How do I start to learn how to programme a computer- I have found the
> website www.python.org.... very confusing. Please reply to
> danielkobrien@culford.suffolk.sch.uk

Nice to meet you, Daniel.  Hmm... same first name... *grin*

The page is slightly complicated, but that's because it links to almost
everything Python related.  For now, you'll want to visit the
Introductions section on the Python web site:

    http://python.org/doc/Intros.html

In particular, the "Introductions to Python programming for
non-programmers" section is good to go through.  Unless you're already
familiar with programming, DO NOT look at the official tutorial at:

    http://python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

because it's a whirlwind tour of the language.  Instead, try something
gentle like:

Alan Gauld's "Learning to Program":

    http://members.nbci.com/alan_gauld/tutor/tutindex.htm

or Josh Cogliati's "A Nonprogrammers Tutorial for Python"

    http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

Both of those tutorials are very good.  Also, I believe the authors of
those tutorials listen in on this mailing list!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate in sending your questions our
way.  Good luck!