[Tutor] stopping at 100 entries

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 22:26:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Daniel Yoo wrote:
>
> > Imagine if we wanted to go through a list of names:
> >
> > ###
> > ...     print "Hello,", name
> > Hello, herimone
>
> That's Hermione. :) (her-MY-oh-knee)
> Speaking as another woman with a difficult-to-pronounce name....

Oh my, I did it again!  *sob*  I have a very hard time with names.  A few
days ago, I spelled "Ron" as "Rob".

I'd better make this Python-relevant.

    misspeled = 'Rob'
    corrected = misspeled[0:-1] + 'n'

I was curious; is there a python module that, given a list of words and a
misspelled word, returns back the "most similar" word?  I do remember
reading about an algorithm that would give the "distance" between two
words, but I haven't found it in Parnassus.