[Tutor] OT- how to build Python 2.0 from source?

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:36:24 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Craig Hagerman wrote:

> A bit off target...

Not at all.

> Can anyone tell me exactly how to go about installing Python 2.0 FROM
> THE SOURCE file on a Linux machine? I did try to install using the
> RedHat RPMs (eg: rpm -ivh BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.i386.rpm) but this
> caused an error about failed dependencies (libreadline.so.3 is needed
> ??) so perhaps a source install would be better... if only I knew how
> to do that.

Probably because those of us who are used to compiling things on Linux
didn't feel it needed to be said? It's pretty stock actually.

tar zxf <sourcefile.tar.gz>

cd <directory created, usually the sourcefile name without the .tar.gz>

./configure && make

su -c "make install"

"You had thesaurus flakes for breakfast again, didn't you?"
                                                 -- Eric Williams