[Tutor] IDLE - working in windows

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo@email.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:06:28 -0800

It is so that the command-line use of python can be demonstrated.  E.g.,

	>python hello.py

and that sort of thing.  It matches the unix-ly discussions that are based
on operating within a command shell (ignoring the differents in the shell
languages themselves).  There are some programs that won't run properly
inside of an interactive window (having to do with the ways that windows
operate), but this shouldn't matter at first.

As far as edit / run / edit / run / save ... kinds of development, use idle
if it works for you.  For some people, it is useful to build up that model
in cruder steps.  You may already be past that and be able to translate
between the two approaches without difficulty.

-- Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: tutor-admin@python.org [mailto:tutor-admin@python.org]On Behalf Of
David Kaye
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 18:08
To: tutor@python.org
Subject: [Tutor] IDLE - working in windows

Why do so many on-line tutorials constantly suggest working in a DOS window
when working on Python?  I'm just learning the basics now and IDLE seems to
work fine; it allows me to create a new file and save it while my Python
command line interface is running.  Am I going to run into trouble as I get
into different programs?