[Tutor] Midi->Python->Blender3D Questions

K P uncle_wiggly@bigfoot.com
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:50:43 -0500

> Hi All,

Hi Nic :)

> After chatting on numerous IRC channels, followed by a tangent surf on =
> the net I have arrived here.

My appearance was due to a cosine*(tangent(pi*pi)/(rambling on
and on)). The ebst place to be for python :)

> begin: My background (in brief)
>   A PLC (Programmable Logic Controller e.g. Allen Bradley SLC-500) =
> Programmer by trade, usually trying to code machine control in the =
> Pharmaceutical Business. Bugged by forever ever changing user =
> specifications. That's life...

Cool background.
>   I'm thirty three now, married, have two girls, Becky(8) and Chloe (5). =
> Currently self employed and unfortunately unemployed at present. No =
> problem, life has a strange way of sorting itself out... Rock On.

Hello becky, hello Chloe, do you want to learn Python also?
> I have lately started doing some animation work in Macromedia Flash4 and =
> Blender3D. I was reading the latter's manual and noticed it used Python.
> Having a mad five minutes I wondered if midi (its' bitstreams) could be =
> filtered into the Blender3D (www.blender.nl) environment via Python? =
> Afterwhich I'd like to associated these streams to different object =
> properties in the 3D environment, such as position, rotation and size.

Last time I looked at Blender, the version using Python was
available, will have to check it today. As for assigning (or
associating) various midi's to object properties, a rather generic
answer is: depends on what the Blender Programmers make
available to script. Hopefully all aspects of the program can be
programmed via Python. If they make enough of the API available
to Python, one should be able to extend it to include your own
functions, objects, etc. Generic I know, but I'm rather new at
programming myself. I'll check out Blender to see if they add more.

Sorry couldn't help more at the moment.

ken