[Tutor] question about cgi and, guess what, Python

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Steven Gilmore wrote:

>  You guys have been really helpful.  I have another question, this time
> about CGI programming.  I would like to continue my education and learn more
> about CGI.  My first question is I need a server for Windows strictly for
> testing purposes.  Does anybody know of a free, open source  or just free
> server?  I don't plan to have any hits, other than mine, of course <Grin>
> And maybe some inscriptions on installing Python for CGI.  Is Apache for
> win32 stable enough for this purpose?

Try Apache; it's free, it's fast, and it's stable.  *grin*

To install Python for Apache, you'll probably just add or modify to the
httpd.conf the line:

####
# To use CGI scripts:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .py
####

and whatever other extensions you want available as CGI scripts.  This
will allow apache to recognize the '.py' extension as an executable
script.  I'm not sure what else you'll need to do on the win32 side ---
most likely, you'll need to have Python in your path.  Other people should
know more about this.