[Tutor] Is Python suitable for my project?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:05:15 +0100

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
> > > available to use, but without an easy way to work with all the
> > > window management code, I guess Python is not a viable option for
> > > me. Am I right? What do you suggest?
> >
> > I would agree for this particular case. Now if you wanted to build
> > an app that ran on Linux and windows Python would be a real option.
> > But as it stands I'd recommend deplhi for its better GUI builder,
> > good database connectivity, good RAD support and fast executables
>
> I like Glade as a GUI builder but dunno if it's ported to
> Windows (though Gtk+ is). Very cool with Python.

Yes, but no port last time I looked.

> I just don't like being tied to a proprietary language as
> Delphi is, no matter how cool it may be.

The language is available via the Free Pascal Compiler which
supports 90% of delphi. BUT not the GUI components.... There
used to be an OpenSource project to port the Delphi VCL to
Linux(Megiddo?) but it seems to9mhave died - maybe because
Borland have suggested that they will be releasing Delphi
for Linux... But not as Open Source of course :-(

But if I have to program in a Win32 environment Delphi is
my favourite tool overVB and the execrable VC++ (and even
over C++Builder).

There is a web page about melding Delphi and Python but
I've never found an excuse to try yet...
'Snakes in the Temple' I think it was called - great name :-)

Alan G.