[Tutor] Is Python suitable for my project?

Jeremias Galletti jeremiasg@bigfoot.com
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:22:34 -0300

Hello,

I need to develop a new version of the program my dad uses to
handle the medical data of all his patients. The previous version
was done using MS Visual Basic 3.0, and it still works quite well.
The problem is that this application was programmed under
Windows 3.1 and has never been upgraded.

Now I'm planning to develop a new version from scratch. I like
Visual Basic because it is easy to program with and you can get
what you want fast. But with my application I got to the limits of
this programming environment. I had to use thousands of nasty
tricks to overcome them, and that resulted in a loss of productivity
and made the code harder to debug, modify and maintain.

This time I'd like to work with a better language, with no such
limitations. I have worked with C, Pascal, Basic, Visual Basic,
FoxPro and I even worked with Assembler during summer
vacations a couple of years ago (as you can see, I had a lot of time
in my hands...). I know the basics of C++ object-oriented
programming, but I have never undertaken a serious project with
this paradigm. I come from the old structured-programming school...

To use any of the languages I already know for my project would
require too much time. The application I need to develop doesn't
need any low-level code, so using Pascal or C would be a waste of
power. C++ is just a modified version of C. This time I would like to
try the real object-oriented programming. Python springs to mind,
and I've been reading the introductory course and so far I like what
I've seen. I think it is a good compromise between programming
power and productivity.

However, the Win32 API programming interfase seems rather
crude. I haven't examined it exhaustively, but I could only find
Python functions and classes which directly call their API
counterparts. How is all the Win32 API stuff normally handled? Is
there such a productive interfase-design environment as the one of
Visual Basic? Or should I start learning the Win32 API with all its
hWnd, brushes, and related things? Is there a high-level
encapsulation of this API available for Python? And what about a
WYSIWYG design environment?

Is anyone working on a project which runs under Windows? How
do you people work with the API? Is Python a good option for my
project? I like its great support groups and all the modules that are
available to use, but without an easy way to work with all the
window management code, I guess Python is not a viable option for
me. Am I right? What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Jerem=EDas Galletti
jeremiasg@crosswinds.net