[Tutor] Class inheiritance question

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:52:05 -0500

Yes!  That's where the power of iheritance and polymorphism lie.

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 05:17:35PM -0600, Brad Chandler wrote:
> I have created a sub class called Positionrlgn of a base class called
> Position. I've redefinded one of the functions successfully, but now I need
> to redefine a variable. How do I redefine a value which is set in the
> __init__ function.
>
> For example, my base class starts like this:
>
> class Position:
>     def __init__(self, dbrow):
>         self.currentsalary=dbrow[0]
>
> my sub class starts like this:
>
> class Positionrlgn(projectclass.Position):
	def __init__( sef , dbrow ) :
		# first call the parent's ctor
		# this will set currentsalary and everything else as
		# before
		Position.__init__( self , dbrow )

		# now change current salary to whatever the new value
		# should be
		self.currentsalary = 2000000

> Can I modify the __init__ function so that only the one value is altered and
> the rest are left intact?

-D