[Tutor] Idle won't run in Win NT 4

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:15:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Ben Smith wrote:

> Help!  I'm a total python newbie, and I'm having trouble getting Idle to run
> on my NT box.  I downloaded Idle 0.5, thinking it would take care of the
> problem, but it did not.  Every time I hit the shortcut or double click the
> .pyw, my cursor gets a small hourglass for about 10 seconds and then nothing
> happens.  I can't find the process running anywhere.
>
> Any suggestions?  I've reinstalled twice now with no luck.

Hmm... since you've reinstalled already, I'm assuming it's not a problem
with Python.  However, Python comes with Tk/Tcl as its graphics library,
and since IDLE depends on it, problems most likely are coming from there.
Try this:

###
import Tkinter
###

and if you start seeing weird error messages, the problem has to do with
those graphics libraries.  Sorry this isn't more definite.  Email us back
with your results at tutor@python.org, and we'll have a better idea of
what's happening.