[Tutor] little pythons

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:18:43 +0100

> From: Evgeny Roubinchtein [mailto:eroubinc@u.washington.edu]

Wow, bizarre,

I was just reading this message on the Web digest on the python
page when it popped into my mailbox!

> >Unfortunately LOGO is more like LISP than any of the 'normal'
> >languages so making the transition to VB or even Python is a
> >big jump...
>
> But seeing past the syntax of the language at hand and learning to
> appreciate the concepts involved might be a good practice -- maybe not
> to begin with.

I agree in principle but as you say - not to begin with.

> >Oh dear, I know Turtle graphics started with Logo but Logo is
> >much more than that. It is a full list prpocessing language
> So, I am curious, what ideas do you have in mind for teaching
> programming to a 12-year old with Python?
> What's wrong
> with translating a LOGO book into Python, for instance?

Nothing at all. I was merely responding to the common
misconception that teaching Logo means teaching turtle graphics.
The idea started in Logo but is available elsewhere and indeed
there are even (a very few)Logos around without turtle graphics.
What makes Logo good for youngsters is not just the turtles but
also its simple syntax(even easier than Python IMHO). Unfortunately
that turns out to be a bit of a dead end for youngsters because
its a big jump to anything else. Which is what I was trying to
say earlier.

There's even an OO LOGO and a full MFC encapsulation for windows
programming - no turtles in sight.

BUT Python can do the turtle graphics just as well as LOGO.
Also, its an easier jump to VB etc - which most youngsters want
to do because they want to build GUI based programs and VB is
almost certainly the easiest way to do that. Python will
instill good habits before they move and some may even stick
with it and become regular Python programmers! :-).

Alan G.