[Tutor] RE: __and__

Emile van Sebille Emile van Sebille" <emile@fenx.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 07:21:47 -0700

Arne,

I agree that the object ought to define itself, but I don't think you
really want to mess with the keywords 'and', 'not' or 'or'.  I played
with trying to define AND, OR and NOT as binding with *, -, +, but
couldn't get it to work.  I suspect that bytecodehacks may provide an
answer, but I have no direct experience with it.

If you use unbound methods, you could use AND(a,b) or OR(a,b), etc.  I
think that gets close to your intent and is certainly not hard on the
eyes.

Emile van Sebille
emile@fenx.com
-------------------

#------start code------
class Bool:

 def __init__(self, list=[]):
  self.list = list

 def __add__(self, other):
  list = self.list + filter(lambda x, y=self.list: x not in y,
other.list)
  return Bool(list)

 def __sub__(self, other):
  list = filter(lambda x, y=(self * other).list: x not in y, (self +
other).list)
  return Bool(list)

 def __mul__(self, other):
  list = filter(lambda x, y=self.list: x in y, other.list)
  return Bool(list)

def AND(a,b):
 c = a*b
 return c