[Tutor] FOR loops

Emile van Sebille Emile van Sebille" <emile@fenx.com
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:26:19 -0700

Hello R.,

For loops provide you a way to apply the same logic to a number of
items.  For example, to count the number of vowels in a string:

>>> test = "this is a test string"
>>> count = 0
>>> for letter in test:
 if letter in 'aeiou':
  count = count + 1
>>> print count
5

or to add up the first 100 numbers:

>>> total = 0
>>> for i in range(100):
 total = total + i
>>> print total
5050

or, more generally:

for each in things:
    do something

HTH,

Emile van Sebille
emile@fenx.com

PS: My spell checker objected to count and total where they appear after
the '=' above.  Any ideas why?

My-spell-checker-practices-Heisenberg-ly y'rs - Emile