[Tutor] Major newbie question..

Kevin Liang 7kcsl@qlink.queensu.ca
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 02:50:42 -0500

This might seem like a lame question, but I'm following a tutorial on a web page, and its at a point where you're

supposed to create a  program to count the words in a file.  As you can
see, I'm a little stumped..any pointers/tips would be appreciated.   The
thing runs, but not correctly.  I thought that adding .inp=
resp.readlines(): would do the trick, but I guess not.  Thanks in
advance

Kevin

import string
def numwords(s):
    list = string.split(s) # need to qualify split() with string module
    return len(list) # return number of elements in list
resp = raw_input("Enter a filename :  ")

inp = resp
total = 0  # initialise to zero; also creates variable

for line in resp:
    total = total + numwords(line) # accumulate totals for each line
print "File had %d words" % total