[Tutor] Python Picture

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:04:51 -0500

[Phil Harris]
> And now, the easy way to convert ico files to bitmaps.
>
> Open windows explorer, hilite the file to be converted, and
> rename it, the file is automaticaly converted by Windows.
>
> Easy when you know how eh!

[Christian Tismer]
> Did you ever test it? 3-[
>
> I did, and it doesn't work, at least not with my Win98 standard setup.
>
> I think you should stand in the corner, or I'm dumb.  <|:)

Now, now, Phil may be an unwitting victim of Microsoft docs.  There's
actually a Knowledge Base article that makes a similar claim, in response to
a question like "how can I use a .bmp file as an icon?".  The answer says
you can rename .bmp -> .ico, and Windows "converts it".  In fact it does no
such thing, and indeed you can use a .bmp file as an icon without even
bothering to rename it.  It's trying to say that Windows converts it on the
fly when & if a .bmp is used as an icon; the disk file remains untouched.

even-easier-when-you-don't-have-to-ly y'rs  - tim