[Tutor] creating files and writing to them

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:51:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Michael P. Reilly wrote:

> Not all systems/users may have their home directories in "/home/".

On MacOS X Server (derived from NeXTtep), it's /Local/Users/username
except, of course, root, who gets /Local/Users/Administrator

So you can't even expect the username to be the same.

Furthermore, you can't necessarily expect to get it out of /etc/passwd
(lookupd is a more portable approach).

In call cases, you can write a file foo to your home directory from
anywhere by opening it as "~/foo"

_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.org   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"I enjoy playing whack-a-mole with my mind" -- Rick Moen