[Tutor] dbg

Evgeny Roubinchtein eroubinc@u.washington.edu
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 22:55:47 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Ben Beuchler wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Evgeny Roubinchtein wrote:
>
>> >Is there a nice, simple way to step through a python program while
>> >monitoring the state of a few variables?
>>
>> Use the debugger that comes with IDLE?
>
>I'm sorry.  What is IDLE?  I believe I've heard it mentioned before but
>searching on that term obviously would be non-productive. ;-)

It's the integraded development environment(IDE) for Python written in
Python. It uses Tkinter, so you need to have Tkinter and TCL/TK installed.
What platform are running on?  I believe the Windows installer puts an
icon to start IDLE in the Python program group, and installs TCL/TK if you
just "take the default".  Under Un*x/Linux, it lives below the "Tools"
directory in the source distribution.  I saw a mention of a separate idle
tarball on the Python web site (www.python.org), but I don't remember much
more than that.

If you need more detailed instructions, you should probably say what
platform you are using (Windows, Linux, other Unix, Mac ?)

--
Evgeny

"Virtual" means never knowing where your next byte is coming from.