[Tutor] Fractals using Python

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:54:31 -0700

At 3:33 PM -0700 8/28/99, Vidyasagar Govind wrote:

>I am a newbie to Python, and really like it especially with
>its numerical extensions.

Yes, it's quite good at this sort of thing.

>Can Python be used for plotting outputs from mathematical
>formulae?

But of course!  There are a number of plotting packages, none of them very
satisfactory though IMHO.  (That includes Graphite, the one I'm working on
-- it's progressing too slowly this summer, but should pick up soon.)

>I used to use VB for plotting the output of fractal
>formulae using simple commands for drawing lines, circles,etc.
>Does Python have equivalent commands/modules? If so where can I
>get them?

The closest equivalent in Python is PIDDLE, which is a cross-platform (and
multi-output) drawing API available at http://www.strout.net/python/piddle .

If you have any trouble with it, ask me or post to the python-piddle
mailing list (described on the web site).

Good luck,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |