[Tutor] Auto-responder -- request for comments

David Ascher da@ski.org
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:04:20 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

I'm going to add an autoresponder which will be sent to folks who are
posting to the tutor list for the first time in a long time.  Here is my
first draft of the message.  If anyone has any edits they'd like to see
happen, let me know.

--david

Your message for tutor@python.org, the Python programming tutor list,
has been received and is being delivered.  This automated response is
sent to those of you new to the Tutor list, to point out a few
resources that can help with answering your own questions, or improve
the chances of getting a useful answer from the other subscribers.

If your question is something akin to:

    "I've just heard about Python, and it sounds great!  Where can I
     find out more on how to program with Python?"

  or:

     "What's Python?"

please read section 1 below.

On the other hand, if your question is:

    "I've heard that Python is good for hacking -- I want to know more!"

  or

    "Can you teach me how to break into a computer with Python?"

please read section 2 at the bottom of this email.

Section 1:
----------

The most comprehensive overview of python.org help resources is at
http://www.python.org/Help.html .  The Python FAQ is available at
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html and it has answers to many
questions that people ask, possibly including your question.  Another
wealth of information and experience can be found via the python.org
searches, at http://www.python.org/search/ .  There you'll find
comprehensive, easy-to-use searches over the python.org web site and
the python newsgroup (comp.lang.python, also available as a mailing
list, python-list@python.org).

Finally, when you do send email to the Tutor list, be as clear as you
can about the problem, including, when relevant, details like:

 - Precise error messages, including complete tracebacks
 - The hardware platform (available in the Python sys module as sys.platform)
 - The python version (sys.version)
 - The python search path (sys.path)

In general, be specific about what was going on connected with the
problem or what specific concept you're having difficulties with.  The
better the info you provide, the more likely the helpers will be able
to glean the answer...

Note that no one is paid to read the tutor list or provide answers,
and most readers often have other work that demands their attention.
Well-posed requests for help are usually answered fairly promptly, but
occasionally a request slips by, so if you do not get a response with
one or two working days (it's usually quicker than that), please feel
free to send a followup, asking whether anyone is working on your
question.

Anyway, your message is being delivered to the Tutor list as this one
is being sent.  However, if your question was about as detailed as
"Teach me how to program in Python", do not count on an answer -- this
email contains all the information you need to start.  Come back with
a more precise question, and we'll be glad to help.

Thanks!

Section 2:

We often get requests which ask about hacking or cracking or breaking
into computers.  If you haven't yet, go read Eric Raymond's seminal
article "How To Become a Hacker"
(http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html). If you want help
learning how to hack the way Eric defines the word, then come back to
us (and read Section 1 above).  If you want help learning how to
crack, go look elsewhere -- we're not interested in helping you do
that.