[Tutor] Installation and "PATH?"

G. Norton strat_addict@yahoo.com
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

I am new to programming and have seen similar questions to mine on the
board but I'm still confused and could use a little help.Here goes:
I downloaded Python1.5,installed it and everything seemed
fineconsidering I didn't know what the heck I was doing.When I
installedPython I already had Tcl/Tk 8.0 loaded so I didn't load the
programfrom Python.I then downloaded Winall32 and everything fell into
place.Using PythonWin, I was doing simple programming and felt that I
was onright track(yea..I'm rambling)The question is, "Am I missing
something by just using PythonWin?"When I go to the file, there is:
                     Python(command line) and
                     IDLE (Python GUI)
The "IDLE" won't open.I open the command line and a DOS type screen
opens.I put in a few 2+2 commands and get the answers but when I try to
open the other screen through the DOS--MADNESS ENSUES!.After many
four-letter words,countless preformances of "Illegal Operations" and
novice troubleshooting,it tells me that Tcl/Tk was not installed
properly.I tried uninstalling Tcl/Tk
and Python and reinstalled Python with the Tcl/Tk that came with
it.Nothing!.Is this due to it not being in my "path".I am totally in
the dark on this andif the path is the problem, I definitely need my
hand held through this procedure.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated,
                              The strat_addict