[Tutor] Does expy-4.0a works on NT 4.0 platform ?

Michael P. Reilly arcege@shore.net
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:32:43 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi there,
>
> I found the expect 5.21 on http://expect.nist.gov/ works with TCL 8.0. The
> expy-0.4a.tar.gz I got from string-SIG coordinator has been tested with
> Python 1.2, Tcl 7.3 and Expect 5.13.0.
>
> My questions are
>
> 1) Is this version expy-0.4a works on NT 4.0 ?
>    (I found the installation instruction ask me to recompile the Pathon. But
> I failed to run it on NT 4.0. All the instructions looks like UNIX/Linux
> platform to me.)
>
>    If the answer is no, is that means so far there is no way to run EXPECT
> on Python under NT 4.0 platform ?

The expy module is quite old (Jun 21  1994), so I don't think it will
work with NT.

Specifically, it is not that the Python extensions are not for NT; it
is that Expect (5.28.1 is the latest release) does not run on NT,
mostly because it relies on pseudoterminals which I don't believe exist
on NT.  Someone did write an unofficial NT port for Expect (with a link
from the nist.gov website).

> 2 If this version works on NT 4.0, do I have to run this with "Python 1.2,
> Tcl 7.3 and Expect 5.13.0" ?

> I also found expectpy 1.8.2 has been ported to Linux (please see
> http://x23.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=497964257&CONTEXT=933804116.1882
> 915025&hitnum=9). Does anyone know is any expect running on Python NT
> platform ?

I can safely say that ExpectPy does not run on NT - I'm the author.
I have no plans to port it to this unofficial NT port mentioned above.

> Another place
> (http://x23.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=498341988.11&CONTEXT=933804116.
> 1882915025&hitnum=43) mentioned a pre-release Python PIPE can play the
> expect-like function. Is this work on NT platform ?

I don't remember this, but you could look at the source for the
standard module telnetlib to see how the expect() method where works
and see about wrapping it around a pipe.  There are other Python-only
modules available from the Contributed page.

  -Arcege

| Michael P. Reilly, Release Engineer | Email: arcege@shore.net        |
| Salem, Mass. USA  01970             |                                |