[Tutor] Learning programming

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 00:20:46 +0200

Hans Nowak wrote:

> >The average Python user on Windoze will usually come up with
> >the standard dist, putting either PythonWin on top, or have
> >a disgusting DOS window with no history.
>
> Yes, I agree. Well, now they know what to do... :^)
>
> >What I think would be very useful: Can you isolate the necessary
> >stuff to make the standard Python have a termcap like interface
> >as yours?
>
> Hmm... at the moment I have only the .a files lying around somewhere... not
> the source. I must have it at least *somewhere*... but I don't have it handy.
> I could try to find it, though.

I just played a little with Winnows consoles.
Used Sam's calldll and windll functions and fiddled
around with a DOS console. It is even a cakewalk to create
one for PythonWin :-)

I was able to read and write this console with my data.
Also I have access to all color and cursor attributes.

That means, with a little work, calldll, and the new code
module of Python, I can run a Python shell which has a faked
stdin and stdout which goes through my module. Which means
that I can add readline functionality with ease, using no C code.

This can then be extended to a little ANSI terminal, and
a subset of ncurses can be set on top of it, again all in Python.
Wheee, looks like fun (if I have time).

ciao - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>