[TriPython] Python Crash Course and PyCarolinas

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue May 7 12:09:58 EDT 2019

Couple of announcements:

  1.  Rebecca Conley is teaching a Python Crash Course tomorrow at 6pm in Durham. Rebecca says, “Hey Durham, if you're curious about coding, and you want to check it out, I'm teaching a free Python crash course this Wed. evening at Momentum Learning! Please bring a laptop (any kind will do). I love teaching kids, but this particular event is geared toward grown folks.” Find out more at https://www.meetup.com/Momentum-Learning-Meetup/events/261136530

  2.  A largish crew of folks convened at PyCon this past weekend for the purpose of launching organizing for a new PyCarolinas 2020 conference following a lightning talk by Andrew Knight. A number of you are already a part of the effort. There is a Slack channel: https://pycarolinas.slack.com. Of course, if you visit that link, it says, “Contact the workspace administrator for an invitation,” but doesn’t tell you who that is or give contact info. I got an invitation by messaging @automationpanda (Andrew Knight) on Twitter. The Slack organization was created by Joseph Jarriel. I haven’t tried it yet, but I believe I and any other members of the Slack organization are able to send invitations as well. So, if you want an invitation, reply to me off-list and I’ll do my best.

Here’s a tweet by Jeff Bradberry with a photo of what looks to be a PyCon Open Space about PyCarolinas: https://twitter.com/jeff_bradberry/status/1125045495079100416.

Here’s a tweet by Brian S. Corbin of the Spartanbug, SC Python users group with a photo of what looks to be Andrew Knight’s PyCon lightning talk: https://twitter.com/corbinbs/status/1125029242511687681.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute