[TriPython] TriPython July 2019 Meeting: EGAD! How Do We Start Writing (Better) Tests?

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Jul 2 16:24:07 EDT 2019

http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/july-19-mtg

https://www.meetup.com/tripython/events/261738077/

When: Thursday, July 25, 7pm
Where: Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI), Biltmore Conference Room, 5th Floor, 100 Europa Drive, Suite 590, Chapel Hill
What: Some have never automated tests and can’t check themselves before they wreck themselves. Others have 1000s of tests that are flaky, duplicative, and slow. Wa-do-we-do? The language used for example code in this talk is Python, but the principles apply to any language.

Our speaker, Andrew Knight (https://automationpanda.com/), is a software engineer. His specialty is building test automation systems from the ground up, which involves both software development for test code as well as the infrastructure to run it in continuous integration. He also does Web dev and tool dev from time to time, and he love databases and compiler theory. Andrew holds a Computer Science BS/MS from RIT (https://www.rit.edu/), and is currently employed by PrecisionLender (https://precisionlender.com/) in Cary, NC.

Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others. Plenty of free parking is available in the RENCI parking deck. The meeting will be followed by our usual after-meeting at a nearby tavern for food and beverage. Come join us for a fun and informative evening.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute