[TriPython] Reminder: TriPython January 2019 Meeting: Python Testing With Pytest

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Jan 22 12:30:48 EST 2019

http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/jan-19-mtg

Looks like we will have a good-sized crowd for this interesting topic on Thursday for our first talk of the new year. I always love hearing Tim Hopper give a talk. We will probably go to the new Monterey in Ram’s Plaza (a block from RENCI) for the after-meeting.

When: Thursday, January 24, 7-9pm
Where: Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI), Biltmore Conference Room, 5th Floor, 100 Europa Drive, Suite 590, Chapel Hill
What: “Tim Hopper will present PyTest. Tim says, "In this talk, I will introduce Pytest, a testing framework for Python (e.g. an alternative to unittest or Nose. Pytest is simple enough to allow you to start writing tests with zero boiler plate, but grows with your project into a powerful solution for even the most complex software projects." Tim Hopper is a senior data scientist at Cylance where he works on machine learning approaches to malware detection. Prior to Cylance, he worked in blocking malicious automated web traffic and developing a Python library for nonparametric Latent Dirichlet Allocation. He has a masters degree in operations research from North Carolina State University. He lives in Raleigh with his wife and energetic 1 year old. Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others. Plenty of free parking is available in the RENCI parking deck. The meeting will be followed by our usual after-meeting at a nearby tavern for food and beverage. Come join us for a fun and informative evening.”

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute