[TriPython] TriPython December 2019 Meeting: Adventures with Rust

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Fri Dec 6 16:06:43 EST 2019

I hope you will make time in your busy holiday schedules to join us for the December meeting. We will have several truly excellent door prizes as well as a big pile of party food and beverages. Plus, David Handy!

http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/dec-19-mtg/
https://www.meetup.com/tripython/events/266618113/

When: Thursday, December 12, 7pm

Where: Caktus Group, 108 Morris St., Durham

What: Please join us for a special holiday edition of TriPython with door prizes and festive refreshments. This summer David Handy decided to learn the Rust programming language, because it had been recommended to him by a respected colleague as a superior alternative to C/C++. In his presentation, David will share: - Why Rust is a better systems language than C/C++ (and why Python programmers should care) - Brief overview of Rust features - Rust/Python integration, with examples - Rust/JavaScript integration, with examples - Recommendations for Learning Rust. David Handy is a long-time TriPython participator and Python developer. He's a homeschooling Dad, volunteer programming tutor, and author of a (now out-of-print) beginning programming textbook. Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others. Park in the municipal deck on the other side of the Arts Council across W. Morgan St. We will likely not have an after-meeting as we will have holiday snacks at the meeting.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute