[TriPython] Reminder: TriPython November 2018 Meeting: Tracking State And Detecting Events In CircuitPython: Debouncing The World With Software

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Nov 27 15:34:29 EST 2018

http://tripython.org/Members/sgambino/nov-18-mtg

When: Thursday, November 29, 7-9pm

Where: WebAssign, NCSU Centennial Campus, 1791 Varsity Drive, Suite 200, Raleigh

What: Josh Johnson presents: "In building novel human/computer interaction devices using CircuitPython, a fork/port of MicroPython for the Adafruit M0 and M4 series development boards, I had a lot of state and state changes to work with. In this talk, I'll be exploring what state is, and how to use familiar Python constructs available to us in Micro/CircuitPython to model it, track it, and respond to changes. We'll cover a common task in electronics projects, button debouncing, but also explore a pattern we can extend to any sort of input, and use to cover general state tracking. It's essentially the fundamentals of what UI frameworks do in desktop environments. We get the opportunity to build what we need from scratch due to the limitations of our platform. The audience is people who basically know basic Python. :) No prior experience with microcontrollers or electronics required. We'll construct a simple demo circuit and control an RGB led. In the talk we'll walk through the basic construction and then dig into the code. Feel free to bring a laptop and a CircuitPlayground Express or other compatible board to mess around with the concepts during the talk!" Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Plenty of free after hours parking is available in the upper level of the deck behind WebAssign (turn through the median just before the intersection of Varsity and Main Campus Drives). If the door is locked, call the number posted on the door. An after-meeting location for food and beverage will be decided at the meeting (usually BaDa Wings at Mission Valley). Come join us for a fun and informative evening.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute