[TriPython] TriPython July 2018 Meeting: Lighting Macro Photographs with CircuitPython

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Jul 17 12:09:52 EDT 2018

Stacy Morse will bring it again next week for our monthly featured speaker meeting.

http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/july-18-mtg

When: Thursday, July 26, 7-9pm
Where: Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI), Biltmore Conference Room, 5th Floor, 100 Europa Drive, Suite 590, Chapel Hill
What: LED lighting rigs are expensive. Worse, they have little to no controls aside from on and off. Most are not dimmable and the only way to change color is to use gels (colored sheets of plastic). In this talk Stacy Morse will present how she used CircuitPython in conjunction with LEDs and microcontrollers to make a custom LED lighting rig. Macro photography is very small scale and the standard LED light arrays are too much for a given composition. LED arrays for photography are expensive and featureless. Use CircuitPython to control LEDs using microcontrollers to light macro photography. Our speaker, Stacy Morse, is a time traveling immortal who programs with Python and builds things that blink. She is a freelancer/contractor building web applications. This allows her to work on her personal Python project, a hand-held programmable LED array for lighting photographs. Stacy's talk will also be featured at PyCon Australia in late August. Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others. Plenty of free parking is available in the RENCI parking deck. The meeting will be followed by our usual after-meeting at a nearby tavern for food and beverage. Come join us for a fun and informative evening.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute