[TriPython] PyTennessee -- reporting @ TriPython.next?

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Feb 13 15:44:22 EST 2018

I’m guessing there were 300 people. The food was good. Nashville School of Law was a perfect venue (lots of large high-tech classrooms). No hotels around it, though. The official hotel was out in Brentwood, a kind of suburban cluster of mid-scale shopping centers and office parks. I should have stayed downtown. I got to hang out with Paul Everitt (works for PyCharm now), Eric Floehr (PyOhio), Katie Cunningham (Young Coders), Brian Costlow (PyOhio), and Calvin Hendryx-Parker (IndyPy). I got a super-cool IndyPy hockey scarf. Well, maybe super-nerdy. But I love it. Katie conducted the Young Coders class. Highlight of the weekend was going to get Nashville-style “hot” chicken with Eric, Katie, and Brian after the conference. No, the highlight was riding back to the hotel in Katie’s all red Dodge Charger rental car (https://twitter.com/kcunning/status/963058765141508096).

Any conference where I don’t regret seeing 70% of the talks I saw is an usually high-quality conference in my opinion. PyTennessee may have had the highest talk quality of any Python conference I’ve been to. Usually I’m happy if I see only 3 or 4 talks I like. This conference probably had the least social cohesion, however, of any Python conference I’ve been to. I didn’t meet many people or have great hallway talk. Part of this was feeling run down from having been sick for weeks. Lots of people were sick at PyTennessee. I was terrified of getting the flu. All the school districts around Nashville were closed because so many teachers had been out sick for so long and weren’t getting better. I also left each day before lightning talks because I really needed to go to the gym after having been sidelined with a cold for so long. There was the most awesome YMCA I’ve ever seen right across the street from my hotel which had day memberships for out-of-town people. I put in 90 miles in three days on the stationary recumbent bike.

The talks I saw:

Testing the Infrastructure: https://smarlowucf.github.io/presentations/testing_infra/
Good talk for develops about the testinfra package which test IaCs (Infrastructure as Code), meaning your Salt, Ansible, Docker, and Kubernettes code.

Git Internals
Very entertaining talk about how all the Git plumbing commands, (add, commit, etc.) are implemented with low-level Git commands that manipulate various Git hash objects (blobs, trees, etc.). Unfortunately, the entire presentation was done entirely at a command line, so no slides (hint, if you are going to live demo at the command line, do it in a Jupyter Notebook so you can have a shareable artifact). However, it was derived from this other command line presentation at another conference which was video-recorded (PyTennessee talks were not): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Msq90ZknI

The Future of Python Dependency Management: https://speakerdeck.com/kennethreitz/the-future-of-python-dependency-management
Talk about the new pipenv tool. People still not woke to the fact that Conda is the future of Python dependency management. Reasons heard for why PYPA is not pursuing Conda more vigorously: a) It’s for Scientific Python (no, it’s for any Python, it is simply the only sane way to do Scientific Python), and b) It’s for any language, not just Python (yes, but it is for Python as well and is written in Python. The fact that it can handle your other dependencies is just part of what makes it the future). Python community dependency management: still a trainwreck by committee. Sometimes Python is its own worst enemy.

Loop Better: A Deeper Look at Iteration in Python: http://treyhunner.com/loop-better/
I should have gone to a different talk. “A Deeper Look” was a deceptive title. Super basic talk on the StopIteration exception and the iter built-in given by the new Python trainer behind Python Morsels (https://www.weeklypython.chat/morsels/). Oh well, he gave away yummy chocolate chip cookies at his booth at the conference. That was a big hit with the people.

Using Data Science to Identify Confusion Amongst Python Programmers: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vSgyeJucO-RZ0730CCMdfw-rziMUsSsJTwGv0MInt_aG3J7HbLESlXwU5yiV5wzfJlaybRY3lgwZCPt/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=60000#slide=id.g32f92c9824_0_151
Loved this talk about the basic data science (scraping, cleaning, visualizing) used to find insights into StackOverflow data.

Jeff Knupp didn’t show up for his Writing Idiomatic Python: Towards Comprehensible and Maintainable Code presentation. I didn’t know that until Kenneth Reitz walked to the podium to give his Python For Humans talk (https://www.kennethreitz.org/python-for-humans/) which is very good but which I’ve already seen several times at many conferences. Still doesn’t recommend the one good way to install Python (Anaconda). Should have gone to another talk. Kudos to Kenneth for accepting the challenge.

Deploying your Django Application to AWS ECS: https://github.com/ErnstHaagsman/ecs-talk
Good talks. No slides. But to be honest, it didn’t cover anything that the ECS docs don’t already do just as well (https://aws.amazon.com/ecs/), so didn’t learn anything new.

Getting started with Django's Authentication System: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKcUOrSOL4iZHZGXzdmbTR3X0U/view?usp=sharing
Excellent beginner talk on the topic by a great speaker.

More testing with few tests: An exploration of property based testing: http://github.com/gignosko/PyTN_2018
Great talk about the hypothesis package which auto-generates generalized test cases.

Type uWSGI; Press Enter; What Happens? https://speakerdeck.com/phildini/type-uwsgi-press-enter-what-happens-1
Good talk by an entertaining speaker. Did not answer my question about whether I want gunicorn or uwsgi, though.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute
(919) 599-3530