[TriPython] Materials List/Setup Details For CircuitPython Talk In October

Josh Johnson lionface.lemonface at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 14:25:30 EDT 2018

I published the first installment of the blog post series that my
presentation will be based on. It contains all of the materials used and
photos of the demo circuit[1]

For the sake of the mailing list, here's what you need (it's just wiring up
two buttons that will control the onboard LEDs):
* Adafruit M0 or M4 based board. I wrote the code used in the presentation
and blog posts using a GEMMA M0, CircuitPlayground M0 Express, Trinket M0,
and ItsyBitsy M0 Express.
* 2 momentary switches. The kind that fit into breadboards easily will work
the best.
* A breadboard.
* Connectors. Depending on your board, you may need alligator clips, jumper
wires, or a combination.
* A micro-usb cable (for programming)

I highly recommend the CircuitPlayground M0 Express[2]. They have the
switches built-in, so you don't even need a single wire or anything (even
solder) to get coding.

Sadly, they are out of stock at the moment. They tend to stock up pretty
quickly, so it's worth signing up for a stock update.

There are, however a *bunch* of M0[3] and M4[4] boards that are in stock,
any of them should work. They will just require some soldering, unless you
opt to buy them with headers pre-installed. Most should have a NeoPixel or
DotStar onboard, try to choose one that has that feature (or you could grab
some neopixels and hook them up yourself, I suppose :D - I'm happy to help
if you find yourself in that situation and are having trouble). The other
thing to consider is the "express" versions - they have more onboard flash
memory, where you store your python code. Try to grab an express board if
you can. While the code fits comfortably on non-express boards, you will
get more mileage from a board with extra storage space.

You can also check out other outlets, like Mouser or Element 14, that will
sometimes have stock when Adafruit runs out.

The code *should* work on any MicroPython-compatible board too (the
PyBoard, the BBC Micro:bit) but I don't have any handy to test with.

Again, if anyone wants to go in on a group buy, I'm happy to facilitate,
just let me know.

And I almost forgot, you might want to check out Adafruit's getting started
guide[5] - it's a good run down of what you need to do CircuitPython work.

Thanks,
JJ

[1] https://jjmojojjmojo.github.io/circuitpython-state-part-1.html
[2] https://www.adafruit.com/product/3333