[TriPython] TriPython October 2016 Meeting: Engineering a Robust(ish) Data Pipeline with Luigi and AWS Elastic Map Reduce

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Mon Sep 26 16:01:16 EDT 2016

To avoid a conflict with All Things Open, the October meeting is a week
earlier than usual:

http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/oct-16-mtg

When: Thursday, October 20, 7pm

Where: Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)
        Biltmore Conference Room, 5th Floor
        100 Europa Drive, Suite 590
        Chapel Hill

What: With great data comes great responsibility. In this talk, we'll
look at how to build a data reporting pipeline that's reliable,
scalable, and maintainable. This will involve Luigi, a simple but
powerful tool for managing interdependent batch processes. We'll also
look at using the Datapipeline and EMR services in AWS. This talk is by
Aaron Knight. Aaron is a full-stack engineer at Voxy, an education
startup that creates English lessons that are personalized to a
learner's interests and goals. He is also the organizer of the weekly
Triangle Hacker Hours meetup. Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10
minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced.
Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned
about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python,
therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can
tell others. Plenty of free parking is available in the RENCI parking
deck. The meeting will be followed by our usual after-meeting at a
nearby tavern for food and beverage. Come join us for a fun and
informative evening.

Chris Calloway, Applications Analyst
UNC Renaissance Computing Institute
100 Europa Drive, Suite 540, Chapel Hill, NC 27517