[TriPython] Success at SciPy Conference

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Jul 17 22:33:38 CEST 2015

I want to thank everyone who contributed to our GoFundMe campaign so
send Luke Campagnola to the SciPy Conference. Luke was a success there
beyond our wildest dreams.

First, Luke's talk was the toast of the conference. It was so liked that
it was placed at the top of the SciPy2015 video playlist featured at the
top of the front page:

http://scipy2015.scipy.org

As I walked the halls of the conference, I could hear everyone talking
about it. He was such a good speaker and the crowd burst out in applause
in the middle of his talk.

At the end of Jake VanderPlas's State of the Tools keynote, he suggested
that we might need to replace Matplotlib with VisPy.

During the Maplotlib sprints, there were discussions about how to slide
VisPy under the Matplotlib API and let VisPy be the Matplotlib workhorse
engine.

Luke even had the best lightning talk of the conference (at 34:58,
marked here):

https://youtu.be/YCxQI4C34j8?list=PLYx7XA2nY5Gcpabmu61kKcToLz0FapmHu&t=2098

Your contributions had a direct effect to help advance the forefront of
Python. Thank you.

Chris Calloway, Applications Analyst
UNC Renaissance Computing Institute
100 Europa Drive, Suite 540, Chapel Hill, NC 27517